Jefferson Community and Technical College
Tutors help students learn course material and develop study skills. Tutors meet with students individually and in small groups for sessions lasting up to 30 minutes. Additional duties include writing session reports, entering information into Starfish, and completing mandatory training. All tutoring takes place inside the Learning Commons.
• Engage with students to offer assistance, encouragement, and support.
• Use the ten-step tutoring process in sessions with students.
• Record session information accurately and completely.
• Maintain competence in subjects tutored by reviewing course material.
• Complete all assigned training and self-evaluations.
• Behave professionally with colleagues, students, faculty and staff.
• Notify coordinator in advance of any schedule changes, issues or concerns.
• Maintain confidentiality in accordance with FERPA.
• Assist with other duties as assigned.
Additional Responsibilities: All tutors are required to make classroom visits and call students. In addition, tutors may participate in cross-training so that they can cover the welcome desk and help us with a variety of tasks at the Learning Commons, including promotion and outreach.
• Grade of “A” in course(s) tutored (Biology 112, 137 or 139; English 102; Math 146 or 150; Sociology 101; Statistics 210)
• Two professional recommendations. One recommendation must be from faculty who teaches the course you want to tutor.
• Successful completion of at least one semester of college coursework at JCTC.
• Ability to communicate clearly and professionally both verbally and in writing.
• Positive attitude and friendly demeanor.
• Sensitivity working with students from diverse backgrounds and a commitment to fostering an inclusive learning environment.
• Willingness to call students as directed, make class visits, and recruit students to tutoring.
• Commitment to meeting all Learning Commons policies and customer service goals.
• Minimum age of 18 at time of hire.
Additional Qualifications for Math Tutors
• Ability to show students how to use calculator.
Additional Qualifications for Writing Tutors
• Graded research paper sample of at least two pages.
Temporary / Seasonal
Flexible - Will work with applicant — We assign new tutors to a recurring weekly schedule of 6-12 hours during our regular operating hours (Monday through Thursdays 9:00am - 4:00pm). We allocate hours based on our staffing needs.
$11.00 per hour
Paid orientation and training. Develop career-related knowledge and skills.
Some college — Must have completed 12 credits and taken the course you want to tutor at Jefferson.
Louisville — Openings at all JCTC campuses