Actors Theatre of Louisville
The Wig & Makeup Assistant assists in the altering and upkeep of wigs and hairpieces for all productions, runs Wig & Makeup tracks on assigned productions, and assists with the daily maintenance in the wig shop.
• Fosters a functioning, safe, and comfortable work environment for Costume Department staff, production personnel, and actors with an eye towards professionalism.
• Maintains a clean, organized, and efficient workspace.
• Ensures that equipment and supplies are properly maintained.
• Keeps informed about industry standards and new products.
• Assists with wig fittings.
• Assists in ensuring that every performer is reasonably comfortable in their wig, hairpieces and/or makeup.
• Ensures that notes from each wig fitting and/or makeup session are accurately recorded and completed.
• Researches any period styles and techniques necessary to complete wigs or hairpieces and makeup applications.
• Assists in constructing, altering or purchasing wigs and hairpieces needed for each production.
• Assists in completing hairpieces and wigs accurately and on schedule.
• Ensures that hairpieces are cleaned in compliance with Equity guidelines, and maintained to the Designer and/or Wig and Makeup Supervisor’s specifications.
• Assists in completing notes resulting from technical rehearsals.
• Runs Wig and/or Makeup tracks as requested for assigned productions, assisting with wardrobe changes as required, and attend every rehearsal and performance.
• Assists with all post-production cleaning and repair work on hairpieces prior to storage.
• Ensures that hair and makeup supply inventory is kept organized and properly stored.
• Provides hair and makeup support for other company departments, as assigned.
• Attends tech rehearsals as requested by the Costume Director or Wig and Makeup Supervisor.
• Attends weekly costume department meetings.
• Carries out other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Costume Director or the Wig and Makeup Supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Comprehensive knowledge of hair and makeup history.
• Comprehensive knowledge of hair styling, cutting and wig-making skills.
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work both independently and as a team member to achieve assigned tasks, sometimes with limited supervision.
• Must be a highly motivated, proactive self-starter, with the ability to work in a team-focused environment.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with a variety of personalities, while maintaining a professional demeanor.
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and work in dark, quiet, or enclosed environments.
• Ability to life and carry up to 30 pounds either independently or with assistance.
• Ability to climb ladders and stairs.
• Ability to walk, squat, crouch, and kneel.
• Associate degree in theatre or related field; or, comparable professional experience.
• Experience in ventilation of wigs and fronts; haircutting/barbering techniques; makeup design and application.
• Must successfully pass a background screening.
• Work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
• Cosmetology certificate desirable.
• Experience running wardrobe and performing quick changes.
• Experience with prosthetic, stage and cosmetic makeup design and application.
Temporary / Seasonal
Other — Works a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
The range of benefits includes medical and dental insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, paid time off and a 403(b) retirement plan.
Associate Degree — Associate degree in theatre or related field; or, comparable professional experience.
For a detailed job description and instructions on how to apply, visit Actors Theatre of Louisville's website at: https://actorstheatre.org/participate/employment/