American Red Cross
Serve alongside paid and volunteer staff, provide direct service to clients of the American Red Cross through the accomplishment of Red Cross Corps goals and objectives. AmeriCorps members will complete projects that enhance organizational service delivery, and expand community resources while developing their professional skill base.
The member will be expected to:
• Commit to successfully completing an 11 month term of service
• Deliver preparedness education to 250 adults through the Home Fire Campaign
• Deliver preparedness education to 750 youth through the Pillowcase Project
• Build local volunteer capacity to support preparedness education by training 5 new lead volunteers
• Contribute to Kentucky’s commonwealth-wide volunteer engagement plan
• Participate in Days of National Service
• Submit weekly timesheets
• Attend mandatory trainings and meetings
• Participate in the local Disaster Action Team
• Be available for National Deployments (optional, 2-3 week assignments)
• Comply with all Red Cross and National Service regulations, policies and procedures
The member can expect to:
• Receive the training required to be successful in their position
• Be alerted to professional development opportunities and provided time to participate in those opportunities (20% of member time- training & professional development)
• Have an on-site supervisor available for member support
• Be treated as part of the staff
• Receive two formal evaluations (mid-year and end-year)
• Make an impact on the community in which they serve
• Hold a position that does not displace or supplant staff or volunteers
• AmeriCorps members are full-time and expected to serve a minimum of 1,700 hours during their 11-month term of service. Members must be available during normal business hours, Monday to Friday. Due to the nature of this program, there will be times when members are required to serve after normal hours including nights and weekends, sometimes on short notice.
• Applicants must be at least 18 years of age by the start of the program.
• A U.S. Citizen, U.S. National or lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S.
• High School diploma or its equivalent required. College degree highly preferred.
• Current valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
• Previous successful experience working with diverse populations.
• Excellent organizational skills, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent public speaking skills.
• Demonstrated professionalism, flexibility, initiative, and team-oriented.
• Multilingual a plus.
Set Hours — Members must be available during normal business hours, Monday to Friday. Due to the nature of this program, there will be times when members are required to serve after normal hours including nights and weekends, sometimes on short notice.
$14,000 living allowance
• $14,000 taxable living stipend distributed bi-weekly for 11 months of service.
• Student loan deferment or forbearance for qualified loans.
• Upon successful completion of term of service, eligible for a taxable education award in the amount of $5,775 which can be used to pay educational costs at eligible post-secondary educational institutions (including many technical schools and GI-Bill approved educational programs), as well as to repay qualified student loans.
• Health insurance offered.
• Childcare available if eligible.
High School Diploma — High School diploma or its equivalent required. College degree highly preferred.
Louisville — American Red Cross - Louisville Area Chapter, 510 East Chestnut Street, Louisville KY 40202
To apply to be an American Red Cross Corps AmeriCorps member, navigate to http://my.americorps.gov and search listings for Red Cross Corps in Kentucky or contact Cathryne Callaway, email@example.com or 502-648-6019, KY’s AmeriCorps manager, for more information.